Thursday 9 April 2015

Tutorial 9 April 2015



I messed up with the podcast for this tutorial - I forgot to record it. Aged brain, I reckon!
However, I have written fairly detailed answers, so send your answers and I'll link you to my versions on Dropbox.



27
Viva. Enhanced recovery
28
Roleplay. Phenylketonuria
29
Viva. Diathermy.
30
Viva. Obstetric surveillance systems.

27    Viva. Enhanced recovery
You are a newly-appointed consultant.
The Clinical Director has asked you to develop a programme for enhanced recovery for inpatient gynaecological surgery.
As a first step, she has asked you to deliver a talk to a unit meeting (all staff can attend) to outline the key features of enhanced recovery.
She suspects that little is known by most of the staff about the subject and hopes that your talk will encourage their enthusiastic participation.
Your task is to tell the examiner the key points you would wish to cover in the talk.
This is not a structured viva: the examiner will not ask questions or help you in any way.

28    Roleplay. Phenylketonuria
Candidate’s instructions.
You are the SpR in the pre-pregnancy clinic. Your consultant is off on sick leave and you are the most senior doctor in the clinic.
You are about to see Jane White who is planning her first pregnancy. Your task is to take a history and discuss the optimum management now and during pregnancy.

The GP letter reads:
Prime Health Practice,
Primetown,
Sussex.
0298766543.
Practice Manager:
Mrs Willhelmina Bland.

Dear Doctor,
Please see Jane White, 35 years of age and planning her first pregnancy. Her health is good – she seems only to attend the Practice for routine checks such as cervical smears – the most recent of which was taken last year and was normal. From talking to her and examining her records, it is clear that she is very healthy and has always had good physical and mental health. Her social circumstances are good. The one thing of concern is that she told me she was on a diet in childhood supervised by the local paediatric team. She can’t recall what it was about and she stopped the diet at about the age of 14. Both of her parents are dead – her mother fifteen years ago at the age of 40 and her father two years ago in a RTA, so cannot shed light on what the diet was for. Fortunately, when I checked through her notes I came across correspondence indicating that the problem was phenylketonuria. I have told her that I am no expert in phenylketonuria and the implications for pregnancy, so have eschewed the temptation to provide any advice.
I look forward to receiving your expert report.
Dr. John Worthy.



29    Viva. Diathermy.
The examiner will ask you 8 questions about diathermy.



1.   What is diathermy?

 

2.   What kind of current is used?

 

3.   Why use high frequency current?

 

4.   What types of diathermy are used?

 

5.   How is diathermy applied?

 

6.   Risks of diathermy.



7.   Discuss direct coupling and its implications



8.   Discuss capacitive coupling and its implications.

30    Viva. Obstetric surveillance systems.
This is a viva station.
The examiner will ask you 2 questions about surveillance systems used in obstetrics.
The examiner will suggest that you move to the next question when you appear to have completed the one you are answering to ensure that you have time for the remaining answers.
Questions:
1)    What general data collection systems exist in the UK?                                          4 marks
2)    What obstetric surveillance systems exist in the UK and what do they do? 16 marks           


3 comments:

  1. I really appreciate information shared above. It’s of great help. If someone want to learn Online (Virtual) instructor lead live training in risk management training, kindly contact us http://www.maxmunus.com/contact
    MaxMunus Offer World Class Virtual Instructor led training on risk management training. We have industry expert trainer. We provide Training Material and Software Support. MaxMunus has successfully conducted 100000+ trainings in India, USA, UK, Australlia, Switzerland, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Bangladesh, Bahrain and UAE etc.
    For Demo Contact us.
    Nitesh Kumar
    MaxMunus
    E-mail: nitesh@maxmunus.com
    Skype id: nitesh_maxmunus
    Ph:(+91) 8553912023
    http://www.maxmunus.com/


    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is always beautiful when you have good health. For almost a year had Hpv and I was lonely and sad luckily I was directed to a very kind and Great Dr Onokun who helped me cure my Hpv and today I am free from Hpv and very healthy thank you so much Dr Onokun Email him via: Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happiness is all i see now I never thought that I will be cured from HERPES virus again. I have been suffering from a deadly disease (HERPES) for the past 3 years now, I had spent a lot of money going from one places to another, from churches to churches, hospitals have been my home every day residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until this faithful day, I was searching through the internet, I saw a testimony on how DR agaba helped someone in curing his HERPES disease, quickly I copied his email which is Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com just to give him a test I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal cure to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days after using the herbal cure, behold I was free from the deadly disease, he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now, please brothers and sisters, he is great, I owe him in return. if you are having a similar problem just email him on : Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com or WhatApp: +2349074536486 

    ReplyDelete